MIND BROADENING AND LIFE CHANGING
As a student involved in the Global Studies Program, your course work will include studying diverse cultures, global trends and the relationships we all share with the Earth. Your voice will be heard and you can make a difference.
You will be encouraged to travel abroad to share your knowledge and to learn from cultures and individuals throughout the world. As a student your input on where to go and what to study will be encouraged.
Branson’s “WorldFest” is an opportunity to “get away” without leaving home. You can explore different cultures and interact with people from all over the world without a passport. We attend “WorldFest “every year and would love to have you join us.
ENJOY GLOBAL STUDIES SPECIFIC PROGRAMS
As a Global Studies student you will be invited to attend programs and events on campus about global concerns. As always, your input on what you’d like to attend will be encouraged.
HELP WITH FUND-RAISERS
Like to travel, but don’t have the cash? Want to attend a program out-of-state, but can’t find that kind of money in your sofa cushions? We can help! Help us fund your next trip or attendance at a conference with your ideas for a fund-raiser. All the money we collect will go directly to students. No middle man involved. Bring your ideas and your enthusiasm. The sky’s the limit!
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES OF THIS ENDORSEMENT?
1. Identify, analyze and articulate a student’s own values as well as those of others and recognize how these values affect opinions, decisions, and behaviors.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the evolving nature of societies and the interdependence among all people.
3. Demonstrate a basic knowledge and understanding of the extraordinary historical diversity of the human experience.
4. Enhance a student’s personal experience through informed appreciation of the arts, humanities and sciences from a global perspective and/or travel.
5. Gain an appreciation and respect for the diverse natural heritage of the earth, and an understanding of the interdependence between human beings and the planet.
WHAT ARE THE COURSE OBJECTIVES?
The student will:
1. Gain an awareness of global issues and cultures.
2. Describe and discuss the value of global thinking.
3. Articulate the concept of interdependence as it applies to the world today.
4. Demonstrate awareness of the global perspectives in the student’s respective discipline.
IT IS A MANDATE FROM THE STATE OF OKLHOMA’S LEGISLATURE
To encourage universities and colleges to introduce Oklahoma students in all majors to other cultures, foreign languages, and global issues and to provide opportunities to study abroad—goals that enrich student’s perspectives and individual development.
IT IS IN NEO A&M’s MISSION STATEMENT
Our Mission: Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College is dedicated to providing opportunities that promote excellence in learning, service, and leadership in a global community.
IT IS THE MISSION FOR THE GLOBAL COMMITTEE
Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College strives to promote excellence in education by understanding the diversity of cultures in the State of Oklahoma and the Global Community.
THE GLOBAL COMMITTEE HAS A VISION
Our vision is to facilitate the understanding of equality among all people of the world. We will learn and help others learn how to extend our vision globally and to consider the needs of all. This includes stewardship of the earth, fostering peace, freedom, our individual growth and understanding of others of different cultures.
THE COURSE NEEDS TO BE A GLOBALLY INFUSED COURSE.
To qualify as a Globally Infused Course the course must meet the following criteria:
• The course has a minimum of one-eighth of the course content with cultural/global subject matter as identified in course objectives in the course syllabus and will be included in the course assessment.
• A one credit hour course would contain 2 hours of cultural emphasis (see chart below).
• The course incorporates, at minimum, one other culture in studying some aspect of its socio-cultural or physical characteristics, institutions, or elements.
• The course must be certified as an infused course by the Global Committee.
16/8 = 2 hours