(Updated January 2014 per Executive Order 2013-43 to specifically name electronic cigarettes/vaping devices)
The purpose of this agency policy is to be in compliance with Governor Fallin’s Executive Order prohibiting the use of tobacco products on state property issued on February 6, 2012 intended to eliminate all tobacco use whether located indoors or outdoors on property owned, leased or contracted for use by Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College or in state vehicles used for Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College business.
1. The use of tobacco products (including, but not limited to, cigarettes, pipes, smokeless tobacco, and other tobacco products and electronic cigarettes/vaping devices or any other product packaged for smoking or the simulation of smoking) is prohibited throughout all indoor and outdoor areas of property owned or under the control of the Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College including parking lots owned or under the control of said agency, and in vehicles used by said agency or its employees whenever conducting business anywhere. Tobacco products include all forms of tobacco but is not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco, snuff, and other kinds and forms of tobacco prepared in such a manner to be suitable for spit tobacco use, smoking, or both. This term also includes herbal tobacco products, simulated tobacco products that imitate or mimic tobacco products, including but not limited to cloves, bidis, and kreteks. Usage includes smoking, chewing, dipping or any other consumption or use of tobacco products.
2. This administrative procedure applies to all faculty, staff, students, clients, visitors and others on business at all Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College property.
3. Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College will identify the boundaries of its property, post this information for public reference, and provide notice of this policy with appropriate signage, including signs at the entrances to the properties and/or other locations as needed. The agency will also utilize printed materials and other communications as needed to educate faculty, staff, students and all other persons using or visiting the property regarding this policy.
4. The Grove Higher Education Center facility is covered under this policy as operating a state agency in a city owned building.
5. Tobacco product receptacles will be removed from the property, including any ash cans near entryways.
5. Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College employees will not use tobacco products while providing services to clients regardless of location.
6. Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College is committed to providing support to students, staff, and faculty who wish to stop using tobacco products. Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College is committed to ensuring that all students, staff, and faculty have access to several types of assistance, including cessation products and telephone counseling through the Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline (Helpline). Supervisors are encouraged to refer employees to the Helpline as appropriate.
7. Noncompliance by an employee will be cause for management/supervisor intervention and may result in corrective or disciplinary action in accordance with faculty and staff drug free campus statement.
8. Noncompliance by students will be directed to and handled by Campus Police.
9. Noncompliance by visitors and others will be handled as stated in this policy as follows: 1st offense – verbal warning; 2nd offense – ticket; 3rd offense- removal from campus.
The Director of Human Resources and Vice President for Student Affairs are responsible for ensuring the annual review of this administrative procedure.