Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College (NEO) will make nine inductions into its Athletic Hall of Fame at the Athletic Hall of Fame Award Banquet, which will begin at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016. The banquet will take place in the Calcagno Family Ballroom in the Bruce G. Carter Student Union on the NEO campus. Tickets for the banquet are $25 for adults and $15 for children under the age of 12. Space is limited and tickets must be purchased by Oct. 7, 2016.
This year’s honorees include eight individuals and one National Championship team:
• The late Jerry Anderson was a Golden Norse football player from 1973-74, an All American, and an NFL safety.
• Carol Calcagno was a women’s basketball player and Norse Star from 1955-57. She also served as the women’s basketball coach and tennis coach, and is an NEO and Welch Outstanding Alumna.
• The late Dr. Boyd Converse served as the NEO athletic director and vice president for student services from 1972-89. He was a member of the SE Oklahoma State University Hall of Fame and an NEO Athletics contributor.
• Randy Gipson coached the Lady Norse Basketball team from 1988-99 and earned a 290-75 record, including three national tournaments ’91, ’92, and ’93, and won 30 games in four seasons.
• King Goff was a football player for NEO from 1975-77. Since, he has been a major contributor in building the Crossland Football Complex and supporter of NEO Student Services.
• Jon Harrison is a member of the 1969 championship football team and an NEO and OU All-American.
• The late Ralph McGill was also a member of the 1969 championship football team. He was an All-American, and an NFL safety.
• Ralph Terry played baseball/basketball for NEO 1953-55. He was the pitcher for eight seasons with the New York Yankees and the 1962 World Series MVP. He is a member of the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame.
• 1980 NJCAA National Champion Football Team coached by the late Glen Wolfe.
“We are proud to honor these individuals who helped shape NEO’s reputation as a national powerhouse in intercollegiate athletics,” said Dr. Jeff Hale, NEO president. “Their achievements on and off the field of competition continue to bring honor to the school they love so much.”
“This is the seventh year NEO will honor those who have contributed to the prestige of Golden Norsemen Athletics,” said Dale Patterson, athletic director for NEO. “The NEO Athletic Hall of Fame inductees were selected from a pool of candidates by a committee of previous NEO Hall of Fame inductees, NEO coaches, boosters, and alumni. This is a great time devoted to celebrating the rich heritage of athletics throughout NEO’s history.”
Following the banquet, NEO will dedicate the Student Activity Center to Coach Glen Wolfe at 4 p.m. NEO will then host a tailgate party catered by Sodexo at 4:30 p.m. in front of Red Robertson Stadium. After the tailgate, NEO will kick off against Coffeyville at 6 p.m. Tickets for the tailgate are $8 per person, and game tickets are $5. All events are open to the community and tickets for the banquet, tailgate, and game may be purchased by contacting the NEO Athletic Department at 918-540-6327 or by e-mailing Lisa Severe at Lsevere@neo.edu.