If any employee or student has reason to believe, either by direct knowledge or a report from another person, that a person is in danger of harming himself/herself, that employee or student is to report the situation immediately.
If an individual has threatened or has displayed a cluster of alarming warning signals, appears to have a plan, or is in imminent danger and requires intervention, the following procedures are to be followed:
- Do not leave the individual.
- Contact Counseling Services at extension 6236. It is recommended that a second person witness the call. Maintain documentation concerning all happenings.
- Crisis counseling techniques will be used as appropriate to try to defuse the situation.
- Do not allow the individual to go home unsupervised. A parent or adult must assume direct responsibility for the individual before allowing him/her to leave school.
- If it is determined that the parent’s/other adult’s response is damaging to the student or likely to cause a suicide attempt, the situation should be reported to Campus Police at extension 6300 (after hours at 918 533-1243).